Saturday, August 30, 2008

WHOO HOOOO!

Ok, so that title doesn't say it all, but what a great day we've had! It started off slow as Nick and Evan spent the evening camping out in the back yard and Annabeth must have sensed something was off cause she woke up 40 times, but man, did it take off for us! After we got up and around, we watched College Football kickoff the season and made a quick trip to Sam's Club and picked up a great new find for a snack. Weight Watchers has been good to us and after weighing in 4.5 lbs lighter than day one, I'm sticking to it! Anyway, I bought a box of Fiber One Bars (Oats & Chocolate) and they are YUMMY and only 2 points. So hearty, too! Pick some up today! lol


Evan was way excited about the camp out. It was the first time they made it to the back yard and he did great. Evan said the ground wasn't too hard, but Nick would beg to differ! ha! What a huge deal for the two of them. Nick said it was nice to spend some time with Evan alone and I know it's good for both of them! They were too cute in that tent and Evan could hardly wait for it to get dark enough to tell "scary, but not too scary stories". :)

Then during nap time, Evan, Nick and I played the Wii for a bit and after a little bit of hearing Annabeth talking to herself, we decided she wasn't going to sleep and we got her up and made the trip into town to go shopping for a new car for Nick. A few weeks back, he started having trouble with his transmission fluid overheating and we had it checked and they said they could fix it for a mere $1500. No thanks. His car was barely worth more than that. So we've been watching the papers and doing research on the best buys, etc. We narrowed down our choices and out we went.

We hadn't even talked about a Honda. Much less a Civic. But for some reason (you'll figure that out in a bit), we pulled into the Honda dealership first. We had talked about it on the way into town that we weren't buying a car today. We were just looking and trying to figure out which dealership would give us the most money for our old car. We pulled up on the row of Civics and before we had the car in park, there was a salesman standing there. Ha! He helped us look at a few and Nick took this nice, new Civic on a test drive while I stayed with the kids. He came back and said he really liked it and he wanted to see what they would give him for his car. Ok. Let's go!

They came back with numbers way too high and I decided that I didn't know this guy. I didn't owe him anything and I wanted what I wanted and my way or the highway! Nick is not a negotiator. Lucky for him, I am! I finally got them to come back numbers we wanted and we agreed to buy the car! It's beautiful and new! It had 9 miles on it when we signed the paperwork and that was Nick's test drive! We got a great deal. In fact, we felt almost guilty for the deal we got. It's all shiny and full of new car smell. Just perfect for what we needed and it gets 35 mpg! Congrats Nick on your new car!


That's not even the best part! The Honda dealership was having a "Christmas in August" promotion. They had a huge Christmas tree set up in the middle of the show room and it had a ton of envelopes on it. You buy a car. You pick and envelope. You win what's in the envelope. We expected to win a cheap tool set or a shop vac. Really, our luck isn't good at all! lol But we let Evan pick the envelope and he walked all the way around that tree studying every single envelope, trying to figure out which one held the Wii Game System. He pulled off the envelope, a red one, and held on to it until we got into the finance office. We started the paperwork and I got anxious! lol Anyone who knows me knows I have NO patience! So I told Evan to go on and open it. The note inside was stuck so he couldn't pull it out and asked me for help. When I got it out and opened the note, my chin dropped to the floor. Nick glanced at me from the other chair and I blurted out something like "I think I'm going to wet my pants!" hahaha He asked what it was and I spun the note around and yelled out loud "$5,000 CASH!!!!!!!!"

It was the grand prize for the promotion and the sales guys said it had been there for weeks. They had given away plasma TVs among other things and WE WON $5,000!!! They tell the check is in the mail and we should get it this week along with our other paperwork for the new car! But YIPPEE!! That is sure going to help with those car payments!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Nickypoo, can you and your mom be put on this car also. We can trade off and on. I get the red metro one month then we switch cars! Sounds good to me!!!!LOL

Scrappy Gal said...

WOW!!!! What an exciting post! Nice new car!!!! Hondas are nice and efficient as well. Congrats on the 5000 in cash! What a great pick!

And, I love Fiber One bars :) So good for you! The more fiber you eat, the more you'll drop, fyi :)

mommyabbytommy said...

It's better than Christmas because it was truly Unexpected, good for you guys!

I love the fiber one bars, and cereal. I'm "off" the bars for a while, I definately over did it, lol. There are other flavors, but I didn't like the caramel, it's more like butterscotch. Keep up the good work! I'm back on the WW plan myself!

Melissa said...

WOOHOO!!!! That is awesome! Congrats on the new car and the $5000. That is just amazing!

Mom said...

Even though you had called me and told me this info, I'm really surprised you didn't say something about DISNEY! They'll take that $5,000 there! LOL! The salesman looks happy, too!

Bring the car down so I can see it!

Stephanie said...

I am so happy for you guys! When you called I was thinking, why is she so excited about buying a new car? They knew they were doing that. LOL. Then you told me about the cash. I am still so shocked! I love the pic of you guys with the check! That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so GREAT!!! I'm totally stoked for you guys!!! YAY! I have to admit I kinda teared up a little bit. I know how much something like that would help our family and I am so glad to see your family receive it! Way to go EVAN!!!

Kelly said...

OmG, no way!! LOL! I just drove home in a brand new 2008 Saturn Outlook, and it may be the same exact color, ha! (check out my blog!) Congrats to Nick and you all for the extra money too! We were fortunate to get the big discounts thru the GM employee discount that is going on now! Woohoo, and I LOVE the new car smell too! :) Yay for you all!

Leanna said...

WOW Ginger!! I'm so happy for you all. So, is Disney still on???