Monday, May 12, 2008

Going Green-Week one!

So last Sunday, we decided we were going to start recycling. We had talked about it before, but had no where to take our stuff and the trash guys didn't pick it up. We noticed a big recycle bin at the police station parking lot and took some newspapers up there for a chance to peek at what all they take.

I have to say I'm proud of us. We should have been doing this a long time ago, but I'm so glad that we're doing it now. This recycle bin takes everything. They even have a trailer set up for cardboard! So the results for week one were astounding! We cut back our trash bags today to two! Only TWO! And the second one wasn't even full, but we pulled it anyway. It's amazing how much we go thru that can be recycled! It's a wonderful life-lesson and a great example for the kids!

This week, I'm encouraging everyone to check into your town's recycling program! It really does feel amazing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! You won't believe me if I tell ya this! I just left my myspace status that said Julie is going green! LOL! How weird is it that I check my email and find this blog? Anyway, we have been recyling cans for awhile now and are cutting back on lots of things. Trying the bags you reuse rather than the plastic ones you get and just throw away. Also we are replacing our old lightbulbs with the energy effcient ones! If you have a garden you can try composting too! I know something that you might find interesting and it is at Walmart. A book called The Green Book and it is cheap and tells ya lots and lots of things you can do to GO GREEN! Good Luck and Way to go!!

Chelle said...

Good for you. We have been recycling for years. Cans, plastic bags, cardboard, organics..you name it.

Kelly said...

That is so nice to see, especially since you all don't have the city do it for you. That's awesome you are doing it yourselves. Our city has a separate recycle bin besides the regular trash bin that we fill each week and it has a separation for glass/plastics or papers/cardboards. We've done it for years. I read recently in Reader's Digest there are many more ways to go green that I never thought of besides recycling. Way to Go taking the extra step. :)

Mom said...

On Jon & Kate plus eight, they just started going green. You talk about an impact!

They got some of the chalkboard paint and painted a block on the tubs to write what goes in it. Pretty cool.

I went to our landfill (there is only 19 left in the state of Arkansas and we a fortunate to have one of them) and they are very strict.

We also have a place called Recycle Works and they sort all of the recycle that goes in the separate bins all over the place. they use people you have to service community service.

Our city is building a new drop off station and it will have a park-like setting.

Recycle Rocks!
Love Mom

Stephanie said...

WTG Ginger! I am so proud of you. It feels good, doesn't it?

Kathy said...

I am sure Nick remembers the days our laundry room was where we kept the plastics and papers to recycle a long time ago.