Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Feeling Sentimental!.

Hence the Spongebob Squarepants layout theme. I despise that yellow sponge, but Evan loves him so I added him for my theme for the next few days ONLY! lol

I was sitting here this morning, thinking about the day Evan was born. Trying to do the math in my head about when I went into labor and how that would correspond with today. Then I realized something awesome. This year, it all comes full circle. Evan was born on a Wednesday and he will celebrate his 5th birthday on a Wednesday. Pretty cool, even if it is a coincidence? lol

Last night would have been my last night alone with Nick. Our last night as a couple instead of parents. It would have been the night before our lives changed forever.

At 3 am, on May 28th, 2003, my water broke. We wondered for a while if that's really what it was or if I was just anxious for our little bundle to arrive. It was his actual due date after all. I wasn't having contractions, just the water issue, and I had no idea what to expect. After the early morning call to my MIL, we decided that it must have been, in fact, my water and we were off to the hospital. On the way there, the contractions started. That was around 4 am and we made it to the hospital with plenty of time to wait all day for him! lol

Once I got there, they confirmed my water had broken. Yippee! This was really it! Now hurry up and give me my epidural already! By 9 am, my slow progress did not make my pain any less and I convinced the doctor I needed my epidural. It was granted and the rest of the day was pretty boring. People in and out. Nurses poking and prodding. All of the things you expect.

My Mom made it up to Iowa in record time. I suppose she was speeding? Right, Mom? lol

It didn't get interesting until around 4:30pm. (I think that's what time it was?) The doctor came in and said I wasn't progressing and the baby's heart rate was dropping and it would be necessary for a C-section. I was fine with that as I was terrified of the pushing anyway and more than ready for it to be over by this time.

I had a slight period of panic as they wheeled me into the operating room. I started to cry and continued to cry through the whole thing. By the time he was born, I couldn't even see him from crying to hard! I was 21 years old.

At 5:15 pm on May 28th, 2003, Evan Job Larsen was born. He weighed 8 lbs 7 ozs and was 20 inches long. He was so perfect and all ours! Truly a miracle!

So as tomorrow approaches and we celebrate Evan's 5th birthday, I find myself feeling a little sentimental. Just a little......

3 comments:

Kathy said...

As a first time grandma, I remember it so well! I rememebr looking at Evan and thinking this is Tom's and mine first grandchild. I missed his grandpa soooo much right then. (as I still do.) How our lives change. Evan's grandpa and I would talk about our first grandchild. Always thinking it would be Scott first.

Evan is loved more than you will ever know. His grandpa would be so proud of him. I know he is watching Evan grow up, along with Evans aunt Amanda.

Stephanie said...

Awww! Now I'm feeling sentimental, lol. I can't believe our boys are already getting ready to turn 5. I do believe I need my own sentimental post now. Thanks for the kick in the pants :). I have been in slight denial and have let the time creep up, can ya tell?

Your writing is beautiful and I know you can't imagine life without your precious Evan. He is such a sweetheart and I am sooo happy we have each other and our boys (and girls!). LOVE YOU!!!

Mom said...

Gin, you weren't the only one crying. We were all so proud of you, Nick and Evan.

I think you have a better understanding of the term "time flys" than you used to.

By the way, I didn't drive too fast. Just about right! I didn't have to wait too long. lol I guess I live and drive on "the edge".

XXOO I must confess, I kept my fingers crossed that he was a she. Didn't work. Boy am I glad now! You have the perfect family with a Big Brother and a Little Sister!

LOVE YOU! Mom/MEME