I'm not sure if I've ever blogged about my Uncle Lad? I know I've mentioned him on the message board and my closet family and friends know all about him, but here I am, blogging about my sweet, Uncle Lad. He's not doing well, again. I got a call yesterday evening while I was out from Nick. He had got a call from my Mom and she demanded he NOT tell me what was going on until today. He did wait until I was done and on my way home, but he knew I would want to know and he was right.
Last year, he got an infection in his left leg and it had to be amputated above the knee. He was jerked around and told many different things and when he was finally told they may have to take both legs, he hit a rock bottom. He was very heartbroken and didn't handle the news very well at all emotionally. It ended up that his right leg was ok for the time being and he escaped the double-amputation and had only his left leg taken. I called him daily for a long time to check on him. New Mexico is a long way from me and as much as I wanted to be there, I couldn't. He progressed fabulous and now has a prosthetic leg. I saw him last October at our family reunion and it felt so good to just hug him and tell him I love him in person.
Fast forward to last night. He was taken to his local hospital and seen in the emergency room for his "good leg". It was no longer holding up very well and apparently he was having pain so he went in to be checked. They immediately called for a surgeon to come look at his foot and leg. Gain-green had set in and the infection is spreading up his leg. He faces yet another amputation. For now, the prognosis is to wait. They have him on some strong antibiotics in hopes of saving his knee, but it doesn't look probable. I really think they are just doing that to suit Uncle Lad. to say they did all they could before they take his leg.
I'm just so sad for him. I called the ER in Hobbs and was sent in to talk to him. The girl that answered is like family to him and she said he didn't want to talk to anyone. I told her who I was and when she repeated it out loud (he was sitting right next to her), he blurted out "Just tell her I love her so much." and that was all he could get out before he burst into tears. And me, too.
I got home and told Nick that I felt like I should go there to be with him. I already have a big trip planned and I could make it work. I called Mom back to see if she could ride with me as the trip is too much for me alone with two kids. I couldn't even go in and see him with two kids. Today, I researched it further. But much to my dismay, there are NO hotel rooms in Hobbs, NM. Are you kidding? I even called Nick to have him check for anything he could find. Everything is sold out or pushing CRAZY for a room rate and I just can't do that. So that was the end of that. Onward with my Kentucky journey and we'll schedule a trip to New Mexico in a few weeks to go and be with Uncle Lad.
I'm so afraid of his will to live. If you pray, please whisper a prayer for my dear, sweet Uncle Lad. That he will find peace with the decision God has made concerning his legs. :(
8 comments:
Ginger, I will add your family to my prayers and please have a safe trip to Kentucky.
really sorry to hear about your uncle. He'll be in my thoughts. Keep us posted on what happens. Hugs!
You know I'll be praying. I'm so sorry.
Thank you for sharing this story about Uncle Lad. I will be praying for sure.
I'm so proud of the connection you have with your great uncle Lad. I know he loves you and you put sunshine in his day every time you talk to him. We will go see him and h'll need us then, too. Luv U!
Thinking/praying for your Uncle Lad Ginger. I'm really sorry.
Always in our prayers.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I will keep your family in my prayers.
Post a Comment