Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Oh, snap!!

Well, it's a new bundle of issues for us. Last night, after Annabeth was tucked into her crib all safe and sound, we heard a wail from her room. Nick got up and went in to check on her and found her clinging to her crib like a monkey-legs wrapped around the rails and arms hanging on for dear life. She had managed to climb over the top rail, but was afraid of the drop to the floor, so she just clung on and screamed! UGH! I'm not ready for this. SHE'S not ready for this. She's only 21 months old. She can't handle a big girl bed yet and I'm not ready for the work involved in getting her to stay in her big girl bed. :(

I tried to figure out a way to keep in her in crib. I thought about dropping her mattress to the floor, but that won't work because of the way the crib is made. My only option is to covert it now to a toddler bed or wait and see how stern I can be with her and pray it works and she quits trying to climb out. I decided to try giving her a water cup and that seems to have helped, but we're not out of the woods yet.

This morning, we were greeted by two little kiddos outside the door. Evan said her heard her calling out and he went and "saved" her. She must have got herself over the rail, but again, too afraid to make the drop to the floor and he came in and helped her down.
*sigh
I was happy he helped her and it was sweet he "saved" her, but I'm cringing just typing this out. It's big girl bed or bust for us now. I was hoping to have a few more months before I had to deal with this.

Current plan:
I tuck her in with a STERN "you stay in this crib where you're safe."
Give her her pacis and a cup of water.
Walk out and leave the door ajar so if she does get out, she can open the door.
I'll go back and check her every few minutes until she's asleep.

Plan B (in case Plan A doesn't work):
We drop her outside crib rail. At least she can get out and get down to the floor without a broken arm. She wouldn't be able to roll out of her crib (as she would if I removed the rail completely and converted to a toddler bed). I still plan to be stern with her about staying in bed. I just can't deal with a roaming 21 month old in the night! *gulp

Here's hoping we can get her to stay in her bed either way!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh man! I wish that plan would have worked to drop the mattress to the floor. I hope the novelty wears off and she stays PUT.

Chelle said...

I had that with Dakota at 22 months (Riley at 18 months). Dakota had no problem climbing out, never falling. Now she ends up in our bed over night (most times I don't wake up). Good luck with it.

Kathy said...

Just like her Daddy! He KICKED his rails out and just smiled.

mama j said...

Do you think she'd roam? She's the exact age of what Mac was, last year, when we made the move....I thought the same thing, but put up a bed rail, made the bed similar to his crib (stuffed animals, pillows "just so" ) and he didn't get out once...he actually stayed in bed saying "Can I get up?" He knew that bedtime was bedtime....now Cooper, he's another story! LOL! If she does get up-just get in the habit NOW of putting her back--even if it's 100 times at night.....take it from us.....

Scrappy Gal said...

OH bummer! I never had to deal with that....B just stayed put until we moved to the bed at 2! Right now it's probably going to be a game for her and something she'll probably try for weeks until it wears off. You can be stern or just make the switch. Sounds like being stern is what you are leaning towards anyway, so try it out for a bit and see how it goes.

Linda said...

Went through the same with our kids. We just put the side of the crib down so they wouldn't get hurt climbing out.