Thursday, April 17, 2008

Heartbroken.

Two weeks ago, I drove Evan to school just like a regular day. I thought it was odd that when we got there, his teacher's car wasn't there, but the co-teacher's was. I asked Mrs. Susan (the co-teacher) about Mrs. Amy. She said she had some stuff to take care of and wouldn't be in that day. The next day, the same story. Every day since then, the same story. Evan doesn't go to school on Fridays so today when Amy wasn't there, I thought something must be really wrong.

A few minutes ago, I got a phone call from Mrs. Susan. She said that Mrs. Amy was gone. She basically was very homesick and she was leaving and moving back to South Carolina effective two weeks ago. They were just waiting for her to be sure before they told any of the parents. I'm SO upset. I've been crying nonstop since I hung up the phone with her. I'm torn between anger and heart brake and don't know which is stronger.

Last Fall when we enrolled Evan in preschool, we had high hopes for him. He had had very little socialization with other kids and was behind socially. We made the decision to send him to preschool and this Montessori school just fell into our laps. It was more expensive than we could afford, but we did it anyway.We have had NO regrets, EVER. It has truly changed who Evan is and he has made SO much progress. He was very shy and scared and Mrs. Amy held him almost every morning until he felt more comfortable. She always knew just what to say and I know she LOVED Evan. And he loved her. He trusted her and would do anything she asked.

Now she's gone? She didn't bother to speak to the parents? She didn't bother to say good-bye to the children whose lives she impacted so much? Couldn't she at least finish out the rest of this year? My selfishness can't be hidden here. I'm sad for Evan. He's fine, really. For the last two weeks, Mrs. Susan has been there everyday. Evan loves her, too. He has a good group of teachers and they are all super sweet. But I can't keep the tears from rolling off my cheeks. He's still too young to understand what's going on. When I told him, he just said, "how many days until she comes back?" I told him she isn't. She misses her family back in S. Carolina and she needed to move back closer to them. "Well, couldn't her family move here so Mrs. Amy can stay?" No, buddy. It doesn't work like that this time.*sigh

And I'm sad for Amy. She started this Montessori Academy on her own this year. It seemed to be thriving. She has a good staff. Good attendance. But for whatever her reasons are, I'm sad for her. I'm sad she didn't feel like she could speak to the parents. She was too emotional to say goodbye to the children. That she had to leave NOW and not at the end of the school year. I'm not really mad at her. She had to do what was best for her and her own family, but I'm truly, madly, deeply heartbroken.

4 comments:

Scrappy Gal said...

Honestly, I'm surprised he's had a stable pre-school environment as long as he did.....I can relate to your frustration though.....when B started he loved Miss Jill...he had 2 teachers but the bond with Jill was greater. Well, due to some horrible argument with the director, she was fired...never able to say goodbye to her class....B took it hard for a few weeks. 2 yrs later, he still talks about her often! Those first teachers stick in their hearts forever!

Kathy said...

I am really wondering if that is really the whole story you were told or the Readers Digest version.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that darlin. The same thing happened when Jake was in prek. He loved his teacher and talked about her often. Then one day she is just gone. We were told about a week later that she had run off to get married. She didn't tell the class goodbye,or the parents that she was leaving. It was about a month before their graduation. Jake was sad that she had left.

Stephanie said...

How strange to happen so suddenly like that. I am sorry I couldn't be there for you over the phone yesterday. I can't believe she is gone! How strange and that Montessori project was her baby, I can't believe she would just up and leave it?! The no closure thing I know is difficult to swallow. I am so sorry.