This was the first year for our newest Christmas tradition, "The Elf on the Shelf". It was a brilliant idea by the writer and I'm so happy to have found it. Let me tell you about it. The set comes with a book and a tiny elf doll. I told Evan and Annabeth our elf was adopted from the North Pole. I guess any story would work, though!
The elf comes in a nice box with a story book telling you all about the elf. How Santa is too busy getting ready for Christmas to watch all the children in the world, all the time. That your elf was sent to report back to Santa each night about all you did that day. Evan bought it hook, line and sinker! The book comes with a certificate in the back where you give your elf a name. I explained to Evan how after you give the elf a name, you can't touch him. The book says his magic will go away and he won't be able to fly back to Santa to report the good things you've done. So we placed the elf on the mantle and sat down to read the book and give him a name. Evan lovingly named our elf Rudolph! (Very original, right??? lol)
Each night Rudolph would fly back to Santa and give him the report for the day and come back to the house by the time the kids would wake up. It was a race very morning to see who could find him first. Of course, Nick and I had to get very creative when it came time for our big trip, but we made it work. And then on Christmas Eve, Rudolph flew back to the North Pole for the final time. He'll be back next year just in time for the Christmas season.I highly recommend this tradition to any of you with small kids. Go get yours today!! lol
4 comments:
I like the name Rudolph! Santa is bond to pay close attention to what he reports. Tell them next year to name it Ms. Claus! Santa will do anything she says!
Cute story.
This is a great book....I'm shocked you just recently discovered it!! yeah!!
Our friend gave us the book/elf too, but the first time (and only time) I read it to my boys, the day after t'giving, it freaked them out--his "vintage" look is a little "scarey"--so, I told the boys that when they were ready for me to bring him to "life" we'd take him out of the box. Until then, he must remain in the box. They enjoyed the story, but both asked to wait until they "got bigger" to take him out. So, the box sat on the bottom of my book shelf in my bedroom and I'd occassionally catch them taking peaks, into the box, but they never did ask to bring him out. Next year, maybe. ;o) Glad ya'll had fun w/ yours.
love the new tradition!!!
Post a Comment