Well, my life has changed forever. On Tuesday night, I got a call from my Mom telling me that my 9 year old nephew, Trevor D., might have cancer. What? You're kidding right? He was taken to the hospital in Ft. Smith where they ran initial tests and gave us the bad news. Trevor has cancer.
I guess he's had pain in his leg for the last 7 months or so. His Mom had taken him to the doctor and they told him it was growing pains. But over the last few weeks, his pain has gotten so severe that he could no longer walk. The doctor that saw him on Tuesday saw the large lump on his left hip. Mom said it was visible externally and the size of her fist. They say it's probably that large on the inside as well. They could tell it was cancerous. But could only give us an idea of what it may be and told us we'd have to wait until he saw an oncologist.
The next morning, I got up and went to class like every Wednesday morning. I got a call that Trevor was being moved to Arkansas Children's Hospital by ambulance. I finished up class, came home and threw some things in a bag and Annabeth and I headed out of town. We stopped to pick up my Mom and TJ and we got there just behind the ambulance. We sat with Trevor in the ER for over 6 hours-taking tunrs in the room with him as only 2 at a time were allowed in . He was his usual, happy, fun, sweet self and he and TJ played the Wii while we waited for him to be moved to the surgical wing where he'd have to stay until 1) he got the biopsy and port placed and 2) they had a bed open up on the cancer wing.
We got up on Thursday morning after NO sleep and went back to the hospital for more visiting, and MORE waiting. They finally took him around 1 pm for his many tests they were piggybacking one right after the other. We got a call saying midway during the first test they had to stop because Trevor was in so much pain. They called for anesthesia and put him under general anesthesia. They did bone scans, CT scans, and MRI then did the biopsy and port placement for the upcoming chemo. When we got back to the hospital that evening after all his tests were complete, he was still pretty out of it. He talked with us some, but mostly moaned in pain. It was so horrible. I can't even explain it.
The news we received next was bad. The doctor is pretty sure it's Ewing's Sarcoma. A very rare, aggressive form of cancer. The tumor is large, about the size of a grapefruit and the cancer has spread into his lungs. They are waiting on the biopsy results, which should come Monday or Tuesday before they start aggressive chemo that same day. We've been told the chemo should stop the growth of the cancer cells on his lungs very quickly, but the damage is done. The prognosis is very grim.
I know the word has spread already about Trevor and a few people have asked for an address to send a card or something to him and I asked his mother for permission. She said of course and please! All prayers and kind words are welcome! You can send notes to:
Arkansas Children's Hospital
TREVOR EVANS
800 Marshall St.
Little Rock, AR 72202
He was moved this morning from the surgical wing to the cancer wing of the hospital. He's in "his" room where he'll likely spend the next year of his life. He'll celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas and his 10th birthday there. I'm so overwhelmed with emotion for him. He's a fighter and I believe in miracles. I know God is with him, right beside him (and right beside me or I'd already had given up!).
I also wanted to say that in January when Steph and I sat down and chose our words of the month, we had no idea what was in store for our family this month. I'm clinging to my November word, CHERISH even more so than before. I'd love to say I always cherish every second of every day, but that hasn't been the case for me. I know I have to learn to live that way from now on. You just never know what will come tomorrow. I sure love my Trevor D. I know all of you would, too. Please continue to pray for him and if you do choose to send something his way, be sure to mention his Aunt Ginger. I don't want them thinking a bunch of wackos are stalking him! :)
I'll leave with this photo from last Christmas of Trevor and Evan. He always has a smile on his face and has a true love of life. Please continue to pray for him and his family. He will have a long, tough battle to fight this cancer. We need every ounce of prayer we can get!

Just as I finished this and had my hand on the button to post, my phone rang. My Mom had just talked to the family at the hospital and they were wheeling Trevor out of the room to X-ray. His fever has spiked and they don't know if it's from a post-op infection for something much worse. His heart rate has been up in the 160s and 170s today, too, and the new attending doc is concerned. So much for a restful weekend to prepare for a horrendous round of chemo next week. His battle has already started. Poor kiddo. Now is your chance! Whisper a prayer!
11 comments:
Ginger, what things does Trevor like or enjoy? We would love to send a package.
Forget whispering a prayer--I have been praying my heart out, all afternoon, after reading this.... my heart is so saddened and heavy for you all, this hits "so close to home," as I have nephews the same age and the reality of "it"--that it could be ANY OF US, even our own child(ren) at any second.... Keep strong in your faith Ginger. The boys and I will make some cards and send him some smiles, on Monday. Thanks for the update--been wondering what was up, since your email the other day. (Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply...).
Matthew 6 has ministered to my heart, A LOT, lately.
Hugs Ginger for you and your Family especially Trevor. I could not imagine. We will say a prayer for him and Your family is definately in my thoughts! Take care!
Dayna (blommen5)
Thank you everyone.
Trevor really does like little 9 year old boy things. He LOVES WWE wrestling and superheros. In fact, my mom picked up a WWE magazine and took it to him and he was so excited to see it!
I am sorry to hear this Ginger. He is the 2nd person I have heard of that has this. A girl I used to work with is fighting this right know..she just had a baby a couple of months ago. My thoughts are with your family.
Chelle
Please let me know if there is anything I or my family can do for you and yours. No matter how big or small! Maybe send out an dditional email for forwarding for prayer from others! I'm so sorry this brave young man has to face something so scary but with a great family and GOD on his side all things our possible! I believe in miracles too! Love you!
Julie is my sister. I don't normally read anyone else's blog that I don't know but I saw you on her favorites and something drew me to it. I am heart sick about your nephew. I cannot imagine what he or your family are going through. You are all in my thoughts and prayers and I will add you to our pray list at church as well. Thank you for sharing such a personal story. Hopefully it will encourage others to not wait when they are not sure about a doctor's initial diagnosis. God Bless!
Jennifer Halmes
Ginger, my thoughts and prayers go out to your family...cancer is so horrible and you know I'm going through my own stuff with my mom but please know that I will add your beloved nephew to my prayers.
I know they have an EKG and an echogram scheduled for Monday am since his heart rate is so fast and has remained so for so long. He was in good spirits this evening and they are managing his pain better with morophine, valuim and benedryl for the itch from the morophine. I'm going back on Tuesday for the beginning of the BIG medicine. PLEASE PRAY
I have prayed and will continue to do so. I know the pain and scariness of it all. You all will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! (((hugs)))
I AM PRAYING!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the faith and hope alive. Love you!!!!!!!
Post a Comment