Saturday, January 1, 2011

Don't stop believing.

Well, it's been a rough couple of months. More like a year if you go by my last blog post, but I'm hanging in there. It's the start of a new year. 2011 is upon us and it happened so much faster than I recall the other years creeping up on me.

My little family has had an amazing year. Of course, we've had our share of tribulations, but I've come to discover that's pretty normal and we are on the low end of that spectrum. We have celebrated some big changes  in each of our lives.

Annabeth started Pre-School. She loves her teacher and all her friends, but has had some definite struggles with separation and authority. No a good mix for this Momma! She is quite the little Princess, though. She loves her dolls and can turn the "Diva" on in a quick minute when it comes to clothes, shoes and accessories! Thank goodness for that or Nick would have her dressed like an orphan child when he picks out her clothes. Ha!

She got her first "official" haircut this week. Her long, straight, blonde locks reached the small of her back. I told her we were going to the "spa" to have a haircut and while she was hesitant, once she got in that chair, she ate it up. Ms. Kayla cut off about 3.5 inches and curled it up for her. Yes, I saved a strand or two (or ALL) for my someday scrapbook page.

Evan is a strapping 2nd grader. He has an amazing teacher, which I'm so thankful for. He's doing great in school. All A's and very proud of it! We work hard on teaching him the importance of trying his best. He's still  a video gamer just like his Dad. His latest milestone is learning to tie his own shoes. Yes, I'm aware he's 7. But that kid had no desire to tie his own shoes and just kept letting it slide. We're so proud of him! (Now, if he would just take a page from his sister's book about style, hygiene and NOT dressing himself like an orphan! Gees!)

Nick finally took up working from home. When we moved here over 5 years ago, he was supposed to work from home. With small kids and a wife at home full time, it just wasn't ideal for him to be home with us. He surely wouldn't have gotten much work done. (I can see that now, but at the time...) This is only his 2nd week, I think, and with all the transitions, vacation days, etc. there is yet to be a routine to speak of. I know it's coming, though, and he'll be so glad to have it once it's here.

I have been busy being busy. I've lost about 25 pounds since the end of August and I started a new job when school started at Annabeth's preschool. I work part time as a Pre-K teacher's assistant and it's really been good for me. I'm not sure how I got started in it, but now I can't imagine not doing it. I work Monday-Thursday and have Friday's "off". Then there's MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). I stepped up as a Co-Coordinator and have had my hands FULL! It's a ton of work, but so rewarding! So on MOPS weeks, I'm wrapped up in MOPS until 1-ish then I go volunteer at Evan's school. On Fridays that I don't have MOPS, I volunteer all day at Evan's school. It's like a full work day either way, so I don't really consider myself having Fridays "off". My day starts early and ends late as I'm always trying to squeeze in one more thing. I haven't scrapbooked in a long time. I don't even know when for sure. I miss having an outlet for all my creativity, but it seems that part of my life was the first to go once I took this job. Oh, well, this is only part of my journey. This is not my whole life!

In August, we welcomed a new member into our family. A "red" (more like brown if you ask me) Boston Terrier puppy named Mia has graced our home (and our carpets and our couches...lol) with all things puppy. She is such a sweet girl, but very feisty and a ton more work than we had let ourselves remember. We didn't know at the time, but she would be just what we needed because a few short months later our beloved family pet, Georgia, had to be put to rest. She got very sick very quickly and just before Thanksgiving we had to make the decision that was best for her. Our hearts were so heavy (and still are!), but having Mia has helped us to refocus and celebrate the living and move past the loss of Georgia as best we can.

We just got home from our 3rd Family Christmas at Disney World. We had an awesome time and saw tons of things we hadn't seen in our previous trips. It's become a sort of tradition with small changes each year to better fit our family. This year we bit the bullet and hopped a plane to Orlando. Best. Decision. Ever. Aside from some minor delays, our travel to and from Disney was great!  It was unseasonably cold, but we managed fine and overall, had a wonderful vacation.



Trevor went into remission this Summer and beat the Ewing's Sarcoma! It was amazing and rewarding to be a part of the group of people who love him and support him. Sadly, in November, he went for his 6 month check up and was diagnosed with Leukemia. Talk about devastation! It's impossible to describe how it made me feel, so I have no idea where to start for him. He is a rock star, though. He has a positive attitude and he believes he'll beat this cancer, too. So that is why I'm sticking with my OLW from last year, BELIEVE. You already know I've had a One Little Word (OLW) for the last several years. I refuse to stop BELIEVING so I'm keeping that word and going to honor it everyday for the sake of Trevor D first!

Were you surprised by a blog post from little ole me? Thanks for not giving up on me or judging me for being MIA for so long. I'm not gonna lie and promise to blog every day or even every week in 2011. I am going to promise to do my best to keep you updated by keeping a record of our lives in one way or another. I have to learn how to manage my time to fit in yet another thing into my already crazy, busy life.

2011 is here and I welcome it with open arms. I do BELIEVE.

2 comments:

Scrappy Gal said...

Wonderful update Ginger!! Glad to hear all is well with the Larsen crew!! Don't worry about the shoe tying thing....B just learned in Sept. It took sitting him down for about 30 min 1 on 1 and he did it. Give it a try ;)

I'm so glad you are loving your TA job! Pre-k is a fun age and I adored my TA's when I taught pre-k.

I hear you on the scrapping is the first to go....I'm going to try this year to incorporate just a little more time for it though.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you are back! I am however, very sorry to hear about Trevors latest diagnoses. I also think that BELIEVE is the perfect word for you to choose!