Our very short courtship-if you can call it that, and our young ages at the time, proved to be a problem for some of our friends and family. We had our first date in March. We were engaged in April. Then married in July. I guess it's hard for outsiders to know how you feel on the inside about each other, but we knew we loved each other and that we wanted to spend our lives together. So we jumped. Head first. Into the deep end.
Nine years into our marriage and we have two beautiful kids and a very comfortable and stable life. We own our own home, have it filled with tons of fabulous material things and overflowing with love. I guess that I didn't really know what to expect. What young kids do, right? They say it's not all sunshine and roses, but for us, it has been A LOT of sunshine and roses (not roses in the literal sense, right Nick?). We've experienced many more good times than bad and I could count on one hand any arguments we've had that were anything serious at all. We just have the type of relationship where we both know what's really important and I'm so grateful for that.
Now, Nick is no romantic. And being a man doesn't help that cause any. When my life as a stay-at-home mommy started, the flowers for birthdays and anniversaries pretty much ceased. I hassle him a little, but he knows I'm just giving him a hard time. He's always struggles with my birthday since it's the day before the biggest LOVE day of the year, Valentine's Day. So on our 9th anniversary, I expected nothing out of the ordinary. Honestly, I don't think Nick expected him to do anything either. He came home from work and I had had a rough afternoon with the kids. I told him I actually needed a break and that would be the best anniversary gift ever and he thought it'd be nice to have some take out from town and that would give me a little time away and get his belly full! I agreed!
I called in an order to pick at Chili's, giving me just one hour to get there. That gave me about 20 minutes to visit Gymboree and make a return and get across town to pick up our food. I left the house at 6 pm, with the promise that Annabeth would be in bed when I got home and we'd get to sit down and eat in peace. I was to pick up the food at 7 and be home shortly after. When I got home around 7:20, Annabeth was indeed alseep. We had some good food to enjoy together and that was enough for me. But, much to my surprise, Nick had loaded up the kids and left right after me to drive into town and pick up flowers. There were two bouquets.
Nick explained that he had picked the pink ones for me because he knows I love the color pink. He said he spent the extra money on the vase because he knew we didn't any (I told you, I don't ever get flowers!). Then he explained the orange "carnations" (I'm totally lol here!) were from the kids. Evan had picked them out for me and he used a water bottle we had a home to put those in. He told the story of taking the kids into the store and looking at the flowers and how he explained to Evan they were there to buy flowers for Mommy because it was our anniversary and Evan's response was "Daddy, do you have to buy flowers on EVERY anniversary?" That's right, Nick; teach him young!
Now that Nick is totally embarrased, I wanted to share some fun pics from Chuck E. Cheese yesterday.
Then during non-nap time, I managed to make up some new hair bows. (The black and pink one is older, Annabeth just wanted it in the picture!) Other than the korker bow, these were all new to me! I'm pretty please with them all!
1 comment:
Your post gave me tears in my eyes! I am so happy for you and Nick. You two have a wonderful relationship and are so good for and to each other. What a great surprise from Nick - WTG! :)
The hair bows are super cute too!
Post a Comment