Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Recap

I'm not sure where the days are going. I feel like I JUST blogged, but I looked at the date and it said my last post was May 4th. *Sigh I guess it's time to catch you up again.

Last week was pretty lazy. I did some baking for Teacher Appreciation week. On Thursday, I made cupcakes and brownies and then delivered them on Friday. Our MOPS group had made "Celebration" plates several weeks back and I used that as an opportunity to make something special for Mrs. K. At the time, I wasn't sure if I'd use it for Teacher Appreciation Week or for an end of the year gift, but went with it last week since time got away from me.
We spent tons of time outside. I worked in our big flower bed planting new flowers and laying new rock. Of course, that meant we had to remove all the old mulch first. We've lived in this house for almost 4 years, and we had only added more mulch every year-never removed any. There was like 3 inches of old, yucky stuff. Once I got that out, and planted the new azaleas, I put all our decorations back and put the rock down. It was a ton of work, but so worth it. The flower bed looks great. Then, this Sunday, Nick asked me to trim the bushes in front of Evan's room and I agreed. After I was finished, I wished I had left it alone. It looked terrible with the old mulch. So, out came the shovel and I emptied that flower bed, too. It all looks so nice and I hope it will be pretty low maintenance.
On Friday, Evan's class held a Mother's Day Tea. The children had worked so hard and it was so nice. When they let us in, all the children were waiting by their seat. We were told to find our child and then Evan told me to sit down and pulled out his chair for me. He put a necklace around my neck that he had made. It's an angel, complete with her halo. SO SWEET!
There was also a flower for me:
Then, they called each mom to the front of the class. When it was my turn, Evan read me the paragraph he wrote for me and gave me his thumb-print flower.
(It says " Dear Mom, I love you. My Mom plays with me. My Mom loves me. Love, Evan"

The kids served us cookies and punch and gave us tons of hugs and kisses. It was a wonderful memory. All of us moms were a mess. Some worse than others, but let me tell you, we passes around the box of Kleenex several times. I just love this boy!
On Sunday morning, the kids surprised me with handmade cards their fabulous Daddy had helped them make. They were both so sweet and so proud to give them to me. Here is our Family Photo for this week:Evan made me this sun catcher at church, too. I put it on the back door, right next to the one he made me last year.
This week is going to be crazy busy. We're hosting Evan's birthday party here on Saturday and we have a lot to do to get ready. I did finally make the phone call to the manufacturer of our swing set and they are sending us a new monkey bar section for FREE! (The old wood is rotting after only 2.5 years.) I'm so excited! I just figured we'd have to pay for it, or at least pay shipping, but nope-12 year warranty! WHOO HOO!

I stopped by a friend's place today to look at some of her kid's outgrown clothes and picked up some things for both kids for a steal. I'm thankful for those connections. Friday is our big MOPS Spa Day and the final meeting for the year. There is still lots to do to get ready for that, so I'll be working Thursday night with the girls on the Steering Team to get everything ready for the meeting. I can hardly wait for Evan's party on Saturday, too. He's so excited and I'm praying for NO RAIN and lots of friends!

Until next time!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

What type of rock did you use for the flower garden? I did the same thing and put down lava rock in the front by the tree. I need some rock for the back but can't afford it this year!

Mom said...

Can't wait to see you all!

Stephanie said...

Your flower bed looks GREAT!!! Good for you! Believe me I know how much work that is, but the payoff is worth it. The lava rock is so much more low maintenance! Our old house we had the black mulch, and I loved the way it looked but after only a year it was faded and icky. When we bought this house, they already had the lava rock and I was like, Well OK I guess it looks alright although not my first choice (so I thought). The rock has been here for 5 years now. We supplemented some areas this summer, and added new to a few trees. I am really pleased with it!

I saw that I missed your call yesterday - was getting Mom at the airport I think! I will call you when I can, or call me!

I had tears in my eyes reading about your time with Evan at his school. That is so special. I absolutely love that last pic of you and him before the sun catcher pic. PRECIOUS!!!!

Love you!!!!!!!

Kelly said...

Awww, looks like a wonderful Mother's Day. This is the first year I missed taking a pic with the boys. :( I am proud of you with your gardening, it is looking great! I know exactly what you mean by the blogging...ha...and it doesn't get better with both going into activities! ;)